Thursday, February 7, 2008

Introduction

I decided to start this blog for two reasons: to connect with other poker players to discuss strategy and to analyze my own game in a meaningful way. I have been playing poker for almost 5 years now, mainly online, and have been playing professionally for the last 3 years. I started off playing limit hold'em, being that that was the game of choice of my father as he was the pioneer of the family to begin playing online poker. I had success as high as $10/20 and dabbled a bit in $20/40 while failing to make a profit at that level. Getting fed up with taking bad beats, I soon took to no-limit and have stayed there pretty much exclusively since the summer of 2005. Even though I have had success at this version of the game as high as $5/10, I have never had the bankroll to explore this limit full time.

After practicing and studying this game for the better part of 3 years, I have made my temporary home at the modest level of $1/2 NL, playing anywhere from 6 to 8 games simultaneously. Although I had originally hoped to be crushing the $25/50 games by now, I have been forced to find my way slowly by managing a small bankroll and finding the appropriate playing style for myself. Originally finding this stifling and somewhat demeaning, I am finally at peace with my place in the game. Even though I have consistently broken Rule #1 of being a professional poker player (Do NOT live out of your bankroll), it has taught me the merits of a basic, tight-aggressive strategy which I can use at any point in time to center myself and avoid tilt and playing small has also humbled myself. Furthermore, I have also learned how to bear down and focus on the strong winning principles and avoid creative, fancy play that often quickly spirals down the road to ruin.

Through this blog I hope to meet both up and coming players and those wiser than myself, so feel free to follow my progress and offer up your two cents. I look forward to meeting all of you!

No comments: